As an Artist, (whether you are a painter, photographer, musician, speaker, sculptor or visual artist) you must continue to feed your mind, ask questions of the world and ponder. Your Art is your attempt to answer those questions and in doing so you can add your flavour to society.
So how do you feed your mind?
You can do this via:
* Reading books and other literature
* Attending Exhibitions (not just the Art you like either)
* Watching movies, documentaries and other media
* Attending lectures and presentations
* Getting together with your peers or Artists outside your realm
* Attending workshops
* Spending time contemplating about your style, about your world
You should attend exhibitions, read books etc that are outside your realm of interest. This has the effect of stretching your world-view and opens your mind to other possibilities. Your feelings about this may reveal to you a new way of seeing ‘the old’ which then will translate into your Art.
Why do all this?
You are a product of your environment. You have been subjected to different influences (chosen or otherwise). You have beliefs and your own thoughts.
Like any endeavour, you will want to grow and evolve, communicate through expressions of your Art.
The world wants to see what and how you feel about things. We want to see your flavour, a flavour that can help grow the world into news ways of appreciation and seeing.
The world is waiting…
Written by David Johnson
21 June 2014